Why is arachnophobia so common?

Discussion in 'Fear of Animals' started by Admin, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

It is difficult to understand why arachnophobia, a fear of spiders, is so common in the human race but it is most certainly in the top 10 phobias. The reality is that only a tiny number of spiders are poisonous and let's face it humans are absolutely enormous if you are a spider!

We would be interested to hear from arachnophobia sufferers and how they see this particular condition. What brought it on? Why is it so common?

2. Jade

Jade Member

I like spiders myself, I love tarantulas and they don’t scare me at all. However my mum is petrified of them so I think that rules out hereditary connections in this case. I’ve read before that scientists link it to our ancestors that avoided spiders as a survival technique. Not sure I’m convinced by this myself. The obvious cause would be that as spiders are so common many people will get bit by one in their lifetime and they can leave a nasty bite. They are also quick and can appear from nowhere, some jump and they can easily drop from the ceiling. And as you say most species of spiders aren’t deadly poisonous I still think people link the danger of some spiders directly to this fear. Also lets not forget the saying/wife's tale that we eat so many spiders in our live time as we sleep. I think a number of these factors contribute to arachnophobia ( lets not forget the horror film of this either). I think its a mixture of direct experiences and media influence

3. Mark

Mark Active Member

Even the word tarantulas makes my skin crawl!

In reality what harm can the common household spider do? Tarantulas and larger spiders are a different matter altogether but it is strange that many people have a phobia of spiders without ever touching one.

4. Jade

Jade Member

I was watching a youtube video yesterday that got me thinking about arachnophobia. So this video was comparing something to a spider and popped in a picture of a big tarantula. I didn’t think anything of it myself because as I said before I’m not scared of spiders. When I did read the youtube comments like I usually do one woman was quite mad that this person had flashed a picture of a spider without warning because she was terrified of them and it had really set of her arachnophobia. So my question is what effect can an unexpected picture of a spider do to an arachnophobiasuffer and how does it make them feel? Could it trigger a panic attack just by seeing a picture of the creature?

5. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I would be interested to hear from those who suffer from arachnophobia. Is it the fear of the spider itself? Is it the way they feel? Or is it a fear of being bitten?

KirstyMarks likes this.
  6. KirstyMarks

KirstyMarks New Member

It is a fairly common phobia. All I have worked with so far with this have actually learned it from their parents, or at least 1 parent has shown signs of their own distress. Do anyone have parents with this phobia?

Mark likes this.
  7. Mark

Mark Active Member

My mum has a fear of spiders so you may well have hit the nail on the head here :)

I wonder how we as parents can do more NOT to pass on our phobias and fears to our children?